Welcome to Classic & Custom Car Forum, The forum for owners and lovers of Classic, Custom & 'Chrome Bumper' Cars.

Many areas of this Forum are only available to Members so Register now, It's free just click on the Register Tab at the Top of the page, Enter a Username & Password and you're in.Then you'll be able to visit all areas of the Forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Classic & Custom Car Forum, The forum for owners and lovers of Classic, Custom & 'Chrome Bumper' Cars.

Many areas of this Forum are only available to Members so Register now, It's free just click on the Register Tab at the Top of the page, Enter a Username & Password and you're in.Then you'll be able to visit all areas of the Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Venetian blinds

+5
65birdman
Aussiebird
Giobus
tony b
DaveG
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Venetian blinds Empty Venetian blinds

Post  DaveG Sat May 26, 2012 11:29 am

Hi All
Given that I've gone the part retro look with my car, i was thinking of taking it a little further.
I've noticed when you drive behind a 64 - 66 Bird the occupants are very much on display. kinda like thry're in a Fish Bowl. I've been thinking of putting a dark tint on the back window or fitting Venitian Blinds. I think the blinds will look better but they dont make them for 64 - 66 Birds, so i'm looking at getting a set for a Chev impala and modifying them.
here they are fitted to an Impala. What do you think.

Venetian blinds Impala10
DaveG
DaveG
Admin

Back to top Go down

Venetian blinds Empty Re: Venetian blinds

Post  tony b Sat May 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi Dave I think the blinds will look kool if you cna get them to fit.
Tony.

tony b

Back to top Go down

Venetian blinds Empty RE: Venetian blinds

Post  Giobus Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 pm

DaveG wrote:Hi All
Given that I've gone the part retro look with my car, i was thinking of taking it a little further.
I've noticed when you drive behind a 64 - 66 Bird the occupants are very much on display. kinda like thry're in a Fish Bowl. I've been thinking of putting a dark tint on the back window or fitting Venitian Blinds. I think the blinds will look better but they dont make them for 64 - 66 Birds, so i'm looking at getting a set for a Chev impala and modifying them.

Evening Dave,

I looked into some blinds for my Thunderbird as they would really finish it off but wasn't able to find some.
There is a supplier in QLD but only supply 'standard every day units'.

Blinds for a Mustang fit well but are short by and 1-2"

If you find some keep me in mind for a second set.
Giobus
Giobus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussiebird Sat May 26, 2012 10:48 pm

Dave have you ever seen them on a thunderbird ? I think they would really set the back of the car off. On all the thunderbird pics I have ever seen I can't recall seeing them here or in the states.
Aussiebird
Aussiebird

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveG Sun May 27, 2012 12:21 am

Hi Guys
here's where I'm at so far, i looked into this a few months back and didn't get far, this time I'd like to get a result with it. The first Co I spoke to was Auto Cables in Melbourne, Doesn't do Thunderbird. I'll come back to this Co later. Second Co is Auto Venetians in the States I sent them an email outlining the window size etc. here's the email I sent in Red followed by the reply in Blue.

Hi
I have a Ford Thunderbird 1964 H/Top I'm looking for a White Venitian Blind for the rear window I'm in Australia.
The dimensions of the Rear Window are
Accross the top from side to side 1260mm
Accross the bottom from side to side 1420mm
Top to Bottom widest point 400mm
These dimensions are to where the Glass goes into the Rubber
Do you have anything that might fit or could be easily modified to fit.
Cheers Dave

Here is the reply
Hi Dave,
I have a set for a 1964 Impala that will work with a little modification on your end if you're up for it. The slats are 1220mm which doesn't quit stretch past the window from side to side. But if you notice, none of my sets (except the truck) stretch past the window from side to side. You'll wind up getting the same look as the Impala set. You will probably have to cut down the top 2 or 3 slats a little to accomodate the curvature of the window or it may very well be satisfactory as is... up to you. Now for the brackets, they are 485mm long so those will definately need to be cut down a little to fit but the good thing is they are long, not short. I've sold this set to many people doing the same thing, modifying them to fit their ride. And being that there is some work to be done on your end, I always offer a discount on it. We can go 2 ways on this. I can sell you a finished (painted) set for $150 plus shipping ($50 to Australia) or I can sell you a set unfinished (unpainted) for $130 plus shipping. People usually go the unfinished route because once they modify them, they need to touch up the paint anyways. Let me know if you would like to proceed and I can either send you an invoice through paypal for the discounted price, you can send me your Credit/debit card info or you can simply call me to place the order @ 626)888-2495.
Thank you and have a great day,
Chhers....Ruben

Here is his site
http://autovenetianblinds.com/

He says the slats for the Impala are 1220 wide and the TBird window is 1420 wide at the bottom I would have thought a Chev Impala would have been wider that a mid 60's TBird this ia a 200mm difference approx 8" surely that cant be right. One other thing do these blinds look big and chunky or is it just me.

Anyway back to Auto Cables in Melbourne, They said if I supply a paper template of the back window they can have one made, very long lead time tho, so I was talking to Daniel (Scruff) on the Forum he's also looked into it for his 66 and he tells me the Manufacturer who supplies Auto Cables is in Adelaide and yes they can make one providing they can have a car or the Glass to get exact measurements from, So this is where I'm at with it. Any further help appreciated.

Aussiebird I haven't seen one on a TBird either but I do think Venetians would look great on these cars.

Last edited by DaveG on Tue May 29, 2012 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
DaveG
DaveG
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tony b Sun May 27, 2012 9:39 am

Hey Dave have you tried this mob,
Classic Weathershields & Venetians

Motor Accessories--Retail - Dandenong, VIC

8 Dandenong St, Dandenong VIC 3175, Australia

(03) 9791 7683

or considered making your own?
The brackets would have to be custom but surely you can by the slats from anyone of the hundreds of blind supplies our there.
Tony.

tony b

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussiebird Sun May 27, 2012 11:43 am

Dave I think you are right about those US ones being very chunky looking. My idea of the venetians was actually based on the ones used in XYs -just checked a few cars for sale on eBay and they all have them. They seem very slim.
There is a guy selling them on eBay for quite a few different cars and he is based in Adelaide. I have sent him a message on if he can make them for a 62 and for the later models and for his contact details so will let you know what he comes back with.

Matt
Aussiebird
Aussiebird

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveG Sun May 27, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanks Tony
I'll contact them Tomorrow.
Seems we have a few guys interested, so maybe a group buy could help with pricing.

Yeah Daniel (Scruff) said the guy in Adelaide makes them for Auto Cables. he was asking to have a car on site to make a template from. Oh well be interesting to see what he comes back with. Well there are some options anyway so that's good.

Not sure I'd have the skill to tackle making them Tony although they are pretty basic really.

DaveG
DaveG
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  65birdman Sun May 27, 2012 7:26 pm

i would be interested and i could let him use my car to get the measurements that would cover all the flair birds and maybe ozzy 390 could use his car for all the [i]bullet birds .[/i]see how much interest we get
65birdman
65birdman

Back to top Go down

Post  ozzy390 Sun May 27, 2012 10:08 pm

I also would be interested in a set of venetians for Lucille. I have one from an XY and have been trying to figure out a way to cut and shut it to fit the '61. I had no idea there was a venetian manufacturer based here in little ol' Adelaide town. I would be more than happy to supply my car for use as a template and as Dave mentioned, if we get enough interest, maybe we could get group discount.

Ozzy Cool
ozzy390
ozzy390

http://www.tbirdslotracing.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussiebird Sun May 27, 2012 10:46 pm

Guys -he replied to my message and said he has a pattern for a 58-60 but would need either a car or a rear screen for other models. He didn't reply with a price or contact number so have asked him again and will let you know once he responds.
If the Adelaide based guys are willing and able to offer their cars for measurements then this could work out well.

Will keep you updated

Matt
Aussiebird
Aussiebird

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveG Mon May 28, 2012 8:15 am

Well done guys,
Bill & Ozzy, thank's guys for making your cars available, your making it easier for all of us.

Good Job Matt getting that info, If he can do 58 - 60 and with Bill & Ozzy's cars he'll be able to do 61 thru 66. So that pretty much covers it.

We've got some good interest already 5 sets of 64 - 66 Venetians, and a couple of 61 - 63.

Maybe I could ask Tonyb if he'd mind me sending out an email to the Thunderbird Owners Club Members here in Victoria, there are 100 Members in Victoria I wouldn't be at all surprised if more owners of 58 thru 66 would want to take advantage of some group buying power. What do you guys think.

Cheers Dave

Last edited by DaveG on Mon May 28, 2012 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveG
DaveG
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rhinosoft Mon May 28, 2012 8:26 am

Damn good idea Dave,

..... I wouldn't be at all surprised if more owners of 58 thru 66 would want to take advantage of some group buying power. What do you guys think.

Depending on the final price I would be keen to get one also.

Graeme
rhinosoft
rhinosoft

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveG Mon May 28, 2012 12:34 pm

I just spoke to a mate, Simon (A61Bird) he's also keen, so the numbers are building
DaveG
DaveG
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  65birdman Mon May 28, 2012 4:52 pm

sounds good bulk buying will save us all money Very Happy
65birdman
65birdman

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveG Mon May 28, 2012 5:54 pm

I've spoken to Tonyb
Tony is on the Executive committee of the Victorian branch of the Thunderbird Owners Club of Australia which has approx 100 members. (me being one of them)
Tony has kindly sent out an email to all members to advise them of this group buy, Hopefully some more owners will want to get involved making it cheaper for all of us. Thanks Tony.
DaveG
DaveG
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussiebird Mon May 28, 2012 7:00 pm

Ok received a message from the blind guy (his name is John). He suggested the price depends on the shape if the glass. The 58-60 blinds are $345. His number is 0408811270. Maybe the guys in Adelaide can make contact with him and go from there and maybe offer their cars to be able to firm up a price. Seems a few of us have looked for this item to no avail so hopefully the fact he was found on ebay is not a bad thing so would be interested in any feedback regarding the quality if anyone is able to make it to see him.

Thanks in advance to those who have offered their time and cars in previous posts and hopefully we can come up with something that we are all happy with.

Matt
Aussiebird
Aussiebird

Back to top Go down

Post  tony b Mon May 28, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi Dave more than happy to send email to TOCA members here in vic.
I tried to send it before I left work today buy I think I have an problem with my address book entry, I'll fix it tomorrow.

Tony.

tony b

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveG Mon May 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Aussiebird wrote:Ok received a message from the blind guy .

I read this and Immediately thought, Shit Stevie Wonder has rung Matt. Very Happy Very Happy
DaveG
DaveG
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  65birdman Mon May 28, 2012 8:18 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
65birdman
65birdman

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveG Tue May 29, 2012 11:13 am

Ok well I guess at this stage we need Bill 65Birdman and Ozzy to make contact and hopefully arrange a time with The Blind Man (Stevie Wonder) for measuring up.

As Matt (Aussiebird) said thanks to you guys for making your cars available, I think the appearance of a lot of Aussie TBirds could be heading for a whole new level.

Matt looking at the ones this guy has on Ebay, they look pretty good to me, not big and clunky like the Auto Venetians ones. I think they'll be fine.
DaveG
DaveG
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussiebird Tue May 29, 2012 1:57 pm

Yeah they do look good in the pictures Dave. By the looks of it he has sold around 60 of these just this month through ebay and all with positive feedback so im sure there will be no issues with quality and we will all be very satisfied Very Happy
Aussiebird
Aussiebird

Back to top Go down

Post  tony b Tue May 29, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi Dave I have sent an email to all Vic TOCA members this morning regarding the blinds and listed you as the contact. It will be interesting to see how many recieved it.

Good luck with it. I'm trying to figure out how I canget them to work on my car.

Tony.

tony b

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveG Tue May 29, 2012 6:07 pm

tony b wrote:
Hi Dave I have sent an email to all Vic TOCA members this morning regarding the blinds and listed you as the contact. It will be interesting to see how many recieved it.

Good luck with it. I'm trying to figure out how I canget them to work on my car.

Tony.

Thanks for sending the email Tony.
Maybe we could get some made from Rubber for the Convertibles lol! .
DaveG
DaveG
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next