Welcome to Classic & Custom Car Forum, The forum for owners and lovers of Classic, Custom & 'Chrome Bumper' Cars.

Many areas of this Forum are only available to Members so Register now, It's free just click on the Register Tab at the Top of the page, Enter a Username & Password and you're in.Then you'll be able to visit all areas of the Forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Classic & Custom Car Forum, The forum for owners and lovers of Classic, Custom & 'Chrome Bumper' Cars.

Many areas of this Forum are only available to Members so Register now, It's free just click on the Register Tab at the Top of the page, Enter a Username & Password and you're in.Then you'll be able to visit all areas of the Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A little bit of hot rodding history

2 posters

Go down

A little bit of hot rodding history Empty A little bit of hot rodding history

Post  Carps Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:55 pm

I figured since this is a museum tour rather than an actual event, I should post this stuff here, rather than the events page.

Being a bit of a historian, I try and visit whatever museums I can when travelling in far away places. Always when in Los Angeles, I make sure to hit the Wally Parks National Hot Rod Association Museum at the Pomona Fairplex and the Petersen Museum in downtown Los Angeles.

So, let's start the ball rolling at Pomona.

The primary display in the Museum building this time around, was a tribute to my recently departed friend Norm Grabowski and Tommy Ivo (who isn't departed), as the joint fathers of the T Bucket!
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS595_zpsb915a065

The two cars are so similar but so different yet they changed the way hot rodders see the Model T Ford. Both cars even lead similar but different lives, Norms becoming a star in the TV series 77 Sunset Strip and Tommy's by starring in many movies such as Drag Strip Girl.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS597_zps0bac13ae

With it's injected Buick Nailhead, Ivo's T also ruled the dragstrips of Southern California, often beating the dragsters and taking home many top eliminator trophies.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS591_zpsba4c032e

Cadillac powered, Norm's T didn't becomee the famous Cookie's Car in the '50s & '60s TV series, 77 Sunset Strip until a rebuild that saw it changed from a straight black painted car to what you see here.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS596_zps581b6c88

Even under the shortened beds, both cars had similarities that were different, Tom's built for outright performance......
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS592_zps6bc32162

.....Norm's built for show and go.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS593_zps7958e88b

Even inside they were the same but different.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS590_zps006e82d2

However, both are built from original steel model T Fords, long before they were duplicated in the new fangles high tech material fibreglass.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS594_zpsf227800c

I first met Norm in the late eighties and always managed to catch up with him whenever we travelled through the midwest. His sense of humour was waaaaay out there and there was never a dull moment when he was around. The hot rodding world will miss him, but I have a mountain of memorabilia he gave me over the years that'll ensure I'll never forget him even after my memory goes. I met Tommy more recently and he is one of the most charming people you'd ever meet, the smile is painted permanently on his face and two years after my first meeting, I walked into this Museum during a midweek cruise, where he looked up from signing autographs, said hi Pete and invited me over to chat.

Carps

Back to top Go down

A little bit of hot rodding history Empty Re: A little bit of hot rodding history

Post  Carps Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:59 pm

In the back room of the museum was the Rich Gausco's '61/2 AMBR winning A Roadster.
In the background is John Peter's famous Freight Train twin engined dragster, from the 1960s.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS608_zpsce27de5b

Just like this years winner the early sixties trophy taker was neat and spartan.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS607_zps91c071c8

Last time I saw this truck it was red and parked up in Jerry Phitzsinger's garage in St Louis.
I understand Jerry sold it and eventually it was picked up by a member of Chuck Porter's family, who has restored it to it's original Chuck Porter shop truck condition.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS602_zps8b4e0d79

The Porter truck is a chopped sectioned and channelled '48 Ford F1, it often appeared at shows in the '50s with Porter's matching coloured race car on a trailer behind it.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS601_zpsbc246ebe

It's one cool old truck, although I recall the cabin being very cramped.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS603_zps8dd2a097

I never tire of seeing this pair, the Christman familyy jewels.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS605_zps0bf56646

Both cars are legends and beautifully presented machines, maybe even works of art.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS604_zpsc16feb90

Phil Remmington's dry lakes racing modified, was stolen in 1949.
Dan Webb, the guy in this picture, liked the car so much that with Remington's help, a bunch of old photos, years of searching for parts and fabrication of other bits, he's built an exact replica.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS614_zpsff226ec4

And it is drop dead gorgeous.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS613_zps8e85a087

Carps

Back to top Go down

A little bit of hot rodding history Empty Re: A little bit of hot rodding history

Post  Carps Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:03 pm

The other big display this time around, was in memory of Dean Moon's legacy and the first time I've ever seen so many of Moon's cars in the one place.

The famous Potvin front blown dragster.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS611_zps3b50abe6

Dean's personal 34 Roadster, the car he'd owned for most of his life.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS612_zpsd1772d4e

Long time moon employee Fred Larson's, Larson & Cummins streamliner, with Chiko Kodama's deuce behind it. Im pretty sure I'm correct in saying the Larsen & Cummins liner set at least one new record every year it was raced at Bonneville.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS609_zps37f680c3

The famous Moonbeam roadster that toured the world and the Moon/Jocko Johnston streamliner.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS598_zps37bbba5c

The lady on the museum desk told me that during the week there'd been three SW&C cars in the building at the same time. This one is the Swindler B Match race car and it's showing signs of a hard life on the track.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS577_zpsebb6b4d9

Hurst Hemi under glass is a recent restoration.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS578_zps30d2a02a

The glass Slipper has been in the museum for many years, but it's one of those special cars that's a joy to see again.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS579_zpsd185ccaf

As is the first ever NHRA 'National Top Eliminator' from the 1955 NHRA Drag Racin Nationals.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS588_zpsb1ddd2df

This car is new to the museum, having only recently been restored.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS589_zps4bb861b4

So too this lightweight little dragster, which must have been the scariest ride on earth. Shocked
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS585_zpsb014464c

The Dragmasters collection also seems to be multiplying as more old cars are discovered and restored.

The journeyman single engined model.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS582_zpsf5bffadf

View from driver's seat.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS580_zps0c296b40

The famous twin blown small block, 'Two Thing'.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS583_zpseb5ed36f

And another driver's eye view.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS581_zps7f56a1c7

The new addition since my last visit, the fully enclosed and streamlined, Dragliner.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS584_zps9114ac1d

To close out, here's Barney Navarro's dry lakes racer.....
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS599_zps07e14d67

.... and the famous Ed Iskendarian (of Isky Cams fame) T roadster.
A little bit of hot rodding history GNRS600_zpse5936623

Carps

Back to top Go down

Post  Carps Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:27 pm

That little dragster with the Hemi does look like a scary ride, but how big do you reckon Dick Kraft's cajones were when he took this thing over 110mph? Shocked
A little bit of hot rodding history S30_zpsc1e2e91c

The car was recreated by Kraft using some of the parts from the original….
A little bit of hot rodding history S29_zps71ce5730

….but no matter which way you look at the car credited as the worlds first 'slingshot dragster' it's pretty crude and scary looking.
A little bit of hot rodding history S31_zps0722b0f6

If like me, you're interested in the history of all things Hot Rod and Kustom, there's no better place to learn it than Bonneville, every August/September. Here they race for nothing more than self satisfaction and the biggest prize is one of these red caps. Out on the big white dyno, one of these caps gets you instant respect, thats because they can't be bought, there's only one way to get one. All you gotta do is set a record above 200mph and it's yours.

I know only one Aussie who has one (Leigh Fielder) and was there to see him earn it in 201.

A little bit of hot rodding history S34_zps27912ccf

On the other hand you'll see even less blue hats out there on the lake, which is why they command even more respect, coz to get one of these you gotta set your record above 300mph.
A little bit of hot rodding history S33_zpsfc72105c

And if you see a guy out there wearing a black hat, well he's got almost God like status!
If you get the job done to win one of these, they'll even stitch your name and the speed of you record on it. Only ever seen one bloke wearing one out on the lake, a fella named Al Teague, but I'm sure there's a few more.
A little bit of hot rodding history S32_zps8ae1da48

They may just be caps to most folks, but they are very special caps and they all come with more than a few stories.

Here's something for you guys who are fans of the independent car makers.
A little bit of hot rodding history S36_zps50ce29c6

Betcha didn't know that hot rodder, lakes racer, author and parts maker, Barney Navarro, took a Rambler 6 to Indy.
A little bit of hot rodding history S35_zps37165d01

It's a pretty cool looking engine with that big turbo attached.
A little bit of hot rodding history S38_zps0b575b3c

Carps

Back to top Go down

Post  Carps Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:28 pm

Lest you think all I do is search out and look at car stuff, Ron and I dragged out his vintage Schwinn Cruisers and headed off on a long distance ride along the Southern California coastline.
A little bit of hot rodding history S45_zps2ec3a7bb

When the sun showed lunchtime, we stopped at this neat Mexican Cantina to refuel before heading back.
A little bit of hot rodding history S44_zpsb8e4b98d

On the way home we stopped off for a little parts shopping…..
A little bit of hot rodding history S40_zps73582673

A little bit of hot rodding history S41_zps0850e64d

A little bit of hot rodding history S42_zps1e707571

Came across this neat Rambler wagon parked outside the Early Ford V8 Store.
A little bit of hot rodding history S28_zpscd910658

One of these would be a pretty cool daily driver, not too big, not too small.
A little bit of hot rodding history S26_zps62815894

This one was a nice original car with mint interior, perfect for the growing family.
A little bit of hot rodding history S27_zps6992df39

This street rod rocked up just as the Rambler was leaving, if 'your old dad' had a coupe, it'd probably look like this one..
A little bit of hot rodding history S25_zpsb0117c55

Thought this would look great on my grey motor, shame it's way too big.
A little bit of hot rodding history S21_zps3f8cf944

For the price of these, I could buy a new Commodore and have change.
A little bit of hot rodding history S23_zpsec3dab50

This lot would look great attached to any old Ford V8.
A little bit of hot rodding history S20_zpsd8f587d6

These too, oh they are attached to one already!
A little bit of hot rodding history S24_zps282b8b1d

So how about a pair of these?
A little bit of hot rodding history S18_zps0a4707dd

Or maybe these?
A little bit of hot rodding history S19_zps0fbef789

This pair seemed pretty ordinary, but carried a high price tag.
A little bit of hot rodding history S17_zps89da0742

If the blower is not for your flatty, maybe this will work?
A little bit of hot rodding history S16_zpse567f675

Unfortunately this old gasser isn't for sale.
A little bit of hot rodding history S13_zps066033f7

However, if you know anybody seeking a four door '36 Ford Touring Sedan, low mileage and in pretty good original condition, give me a call.
A little bit of hot rodding history S12_zps732e12b0

Wandered across this old family truckster still doing surf duty near Huntington beach.
A little bit of hot rodding history S11_zpsd944ec69

Loved this license plate frame, but I dunno if I'd put my name on the plate like the owner has done.
A little bit of hot rodding history S10_zpsf1f38d62

Meanwhile, here's a few things that might interest anybody who's doing a '40s or 50s era home resto, a shop that restores and deals in cool era white-goods.
A little bit of hot rodding history S15_zps9c56271d

Found this in an antiques market along with a bunch of old hot rod and custom car magazines.
A little bit of hot rodding history S14_zps0a7203cf

Another L.A. buddy, Dave has just finished this one, low budget home built car using original body and chassis, reconditioned junkyard engine and trans, plus a few store bought parts and a whole bunch of elbow grease.
A little bit of hot rodding history S01_zps55e03ab8

It's well detailed top to bottom.
A little bit of hot rodding history S02_zps1fac7836

And neatly engineered.
A little bit of hot rodding history S04_zps5958e941

Works great in hot weather, coz it's got full Vintage Air climate control.
A little bit of hot rodding history S07_zps46b4f8fd

Engine is better viewed from the driver's side.
A little bit of hot rodding history S08_zpsae622c57

Soft leather interior looks great and is supremely comfortable, roomy too.
A little bit of hot rodding history S06_zps06fbe176

Driving position almost perfect for a bloke my size.
A little bit of hot rodding history S09_zps857b8113

But it's not for sale, so I didn't buy it. Laughing Laughing Laughing
A little bit of hot rodding history S05_zps9e3c9994

Also stopped in on a few non car guy buddies to check out a some more non automotive antiquities.
A little bit of hot rodding history S43_zps45c1d6ce

And of course no US trip can be concluded without a little train spotting!
Coz the 'Murrican have great trains.
A little bit of hot rodding history S100_zps07c13227

Carps

Back to top Go down

Post  Giobus Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:34 pm

Wow Pete,

That's some history Very Happy in some ways the cars really haven't changed so much in relation to the 'Rail Dragsters'.

But seeing some MOON cars and the Ed Isky car is amazing !

Thanks for sharing !!
Giobus
Giobus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum