Welcome to Classic & Custom Car Forum, The forum for owners and lovers of Classic, Custom & 'Chrome Bumper' Cars.

Many areas of this Forum are only available to Members so Register now, It's free just click on the Register Tab at the Top of the page, Enter a Username & Password and you're in.Then you'll be able to visit all areas of the Forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Classic & Custom Car Forum, The forum for owners and lovers of Classic, Custom & 'Chrome Bumper' Cars.

Many areas of this Forum are only available to Members so Register now, It's free just click on the Register Tab at the Top of the page, Enter a Username & Password and you're in.Then you'll be able to visit all areas of the Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car Price Entry to Car Shows

+10
Deano390
Kiwibird
tony b
65bird
The65
Giobus
1965tbird
DaveG
65birdman
1963-FTB
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Car Price Entry to Car Shows - Page 2 Empty Re: Car Price Entry to Car Shows

Post  Deano390 Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:16 am

We have the same problems up here in NSW.

Several of us , the NSW crew went to the All American day at Castle Towers last month, It's one of the best shows up here, and it was $10 per car, very good value day, American cars only but i can live with that. I know what you guys are saying about Camaros & Mustangs up here theyre like butt holes. As i say this one was good value but then we've got other shows that are way overpriced, I think it's the same everywhere. The great thing was at Castle Towers for the first time we outnumbered the TOCA wankers, we are steadily growing in numbers and they seem to be droping of,

Dont take this the wrong way but i preferred the Forum when it was all Thunderbird, why did it change, we had our Monthly meeting last week and most of the guys were talking about the changes here, some were happy with it some not so much but I think they'll all continue to drop in even thou we dont say much we enjoy coming in and reading the storys

Anyway so long for now Deano390

Deano390

Back to top Go down

Post  blackcoupe Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:06 am

Some intersting pionts brought up here.At the susie harris show you were asked to pre enter so they could cater for the numbers a nice venue but still the same issues as all shows for our money why not give us some value ie a voucher for a coffee and snag or whatever and give us something to do ,most of the time i've seen the cars before and if your lucky you go with friends and meet new ones which makes the day go by faster maybe a market or something.Also they get us there at sparrows fart and keep us there way tooo long sure start at 9 but by 12 it should be wrapped up so we can keep peace at home with our long suffering families lol.Lastly i think more shows if they are doing trophies it would be better if the public vote ie peoples choice just view.Still think a group of cars cruisin to a park etc and have a bbq or picnic.
see you on the road!!!!! cheers john Cool

blackcoupe

http://www.customrodz.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  blackcoupe Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:16 am

Kiwibird wrote:
1965tbird wrote:
Most guys only drive their cars to shows so if you dont want to pay why bother owning the car

'Cos I like to drive it - and like its looks - and unlike a modern car I can actually fix it - and it doesn't devalue.

Taking it to a car show is way down the list of "Why I own a car"! Laughing
BOY THIS MAKES ME LAUGH!!!!!! sorry caps locked on Laughing i have a logo on my shirts and jacket i had done for the car it says '"driven not hidden"" i take it to shows sure but i built it to drive and enjoy,shows aren't the be all and end all of owning a car it;s the joy of bringing it back to its former glory and giving it your personal touches otherwise buy a model.rant over Rolling Eyes

blackcoupe

http://www.customrodz.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Giobus Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:00 am

blackcoupe wrote:
Kiwibird wrote:
1965tbird wrote:
Most guys only drive their cars to shows so if you dont want to pay why bother owning the car

'Cos I like to drive it - and like its looks - and unlike a modern car I can actually fix it - and it doesn't devalue.

Taking it to a car show is way down the list of "Why I own a car"! Laughing
BOY THIS MAKES ME LAUGH!!!!!! sorry caps locked on Laughing i have a logo on my shirts and jacket i had done for the car it says '"driven not hidden"" i take it to shows sure but i built it to drive and enjoy,shows aren't the be all and end all of owning a car it;s the joy of bringing it back to its former glory and giving it your personal touches otherwise buy a model.rant over Rolling Eyes

Here, Here ~ enjoy the car!
Giobus
Giobus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The65 Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:44 pm

I just noticed theres a car show on at Cruden farm Langwarrin ( the home of the late Dame Elisabeth Murdoch ) on April 28. It is a reasonable $15 entry for your car inc 2 people and kids are free. The surprising bit is its $25 entry for the general public affraid That's a bit different to most charity car shows. Its not their first show. Anyone been there before?
The65
The65

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveG Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm

Hi john
That sounds good, do you know if there is a flyer anywhere, we can post up, that'd be a good one to take the ladies to, they go and look at flowers while the men folk talk shit ahhh cars
DaveG
DaveG
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The65 Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:35 am

Here you go.

Car Price Entry to Car Shows - Page 2 Crudenfarm_zps7084df14
The65
The65

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveG Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:19 pm

Well done, thanks John
I Searched for it but came up short
DaveG
DaveG
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Igalop Fri May 10, 2013 12:03 pm

What really irks me is when I have to pay more than $20 or $30 to attend a show with my Mustang and then the rippoff organizers ask the public to come up with $5 or even less to enter. They can sniff me for any more than $15 from now on. I am not gunna line the pockets of these ordinary bods who claim their plastic chromed trophies and rented sites cost a "fortune". I know better !!! Mad
Igalop
Igalop

Back to top Go down

Post  Carps Sat May 11, 2013 4:30 pm

My name is Peter Carpenter and I am a 'Greedy Event Promoter'!

After 20 years of Rod and Kustom Picnics and ten years of Kustom Nationals at Phillip Island it seems strange top have stated that.

Why?

Because in all that time, over all those events, I have not profited by one red cent, that's not why we do them.

The Picnic started as something to do when there was nothing to do and grew beyond our widest dreams.
It was put on for the participants not the general public, although as costs started to balloon the only way we could keep entry fees under control, was to find another source of income.
Contrary to popular belief, good venues do not come cheap! Add to that the little matter of public liability insurance, which is even more costly than venue hire, but without it, the show cannot go on.
Before making the choice to move the Picnic to Sandown Park (a most expensive execs) we had three poorly attended events at Lardner Park (where we moved it after outgrowing Packenham Racecourse), because of the crappy weather in Melbourne.
The losses from those events totalled in the hundreds of thousands of dollars - since you can't get insurance for this part of the event, guess where the money comes from?
Out of the event promoter's pocket, which is why what profit isn't reinvested in improving the event is held over for a rainy day, or in our case, used to create another event, which is the Kustom Nationals.

Before opening at Phillip Island we used to think the insurance for The Picnic was savage, but tell your insurer you're going to let the punters cruise their high powered cars on one of the world's finest Grand Prix Motor Racing Circuits and see what happens to your premium.

There's also the issue of permits and approvals, with just about every government department putting their hands in your pocket to take as much as they can before they'll give you an approval to make a little noise and have some fun.

Live music doesn't come for for free, even recorded music has a cost (hire of PA equipment to play it on, power and artists royalties etc.), yet at Phillip Island we have two live bands playing at any one time and one at The Picnic, to ensure live music all event long. Just as the musicians/entertainers need to be paid, all of the infrastructure to support this has to be paid for too.

Then there's garbage & facility management, once again not a cheap exercise to clean up the venue after a few thousand punters have left all their rubbish and mess behind.
Anything that's damaged has to be repaired, and you'd be amazed to see the damage some folks do to stuff that isn't theirs. It's usually not covered by insurance or cheaper to pay than make an insurance claim.

And a recently introduced statutory requirement, proper security. No longer can we do this part ourselves, we have to pay to employ properly trained and licensed security people, proportionate to the anticipated crowds.

There's also the medical emergency stuff, nothing happens at Phillip Island or Sandown Park (Lardner Park, Packenham Racecourse also) without the requisite number of Ambulances and medical/emergency qualified people. Ever paid for an emergency ambulance ride? Not cheap eh? Now consider what it's going to cost to hire one for four days.

I've been involved in promoting club level car shows and events for around 40 years and the two major events mentioned here from their beginning.
The one constant in all that time has been discussions such as this one and they've become worse with the growth of the interweb, feacesbook and flutter etc.

Most of the folks involved do what they do because they love our hobby and just want to give something back. They are not paid and DO NOT rake in the enormous wealth that is often calculated, based on spurious data. If I was making so much money from promoting these events, why would I bother putting myself through all the stress, gettting up at 5:00am or earlier, working 80 hours a week in the corporate world (I learned how much an abulance ride costs after suffering a heart attack at my desk in the office) to earn a living, when I could earn so much more raking in the cash from car enthusiasts in a low stress job that I clearly love to do.

To digress slightly, I gave up what might have been a fun and lucrative career building and painting custom cars, simply because car guys don't like to pay. In that early venture my customers demanded the highest standards of workmanship and quality materials, but always bitched and moend about the high cost of same or how I was ripping them off. Many just didn't bother paying at all. Rather than going bankrupt, I gave it away and got a real job with a guaranteed regular salary.

Fact is, these events don't pay for themselves, promoters are entitled to recoup their costs and need to, or it's not worth the effort. Hell, I don't know anybody that would do the kind of work involved without wanting to be paid for it, so I'm also a believer that event promoters also have a right to a decent profit for their efforts. You demand that from your boss or business ventures don't you?

Charge too much and nobody will come, the event dies!
Charge to little and you'll be broke in a heartbeat, the event dies!

Make the event free to participants and charge the general public through the nose? Not really fair, because participants often get a lot more value than the general public, especially at events like Phillip Island, where they get to cruise the motor racing circuit and the public do not.

Ask the general public to foot a larger share of the cost and they will not consider it good value either, so they won't come.
The the promoters have to find the balance and both sides if asked will tell us in no uncertain terms which way that should go.
If there's no general public, the vendors will not come (don't worry they too complain about the 'high cost' of participation) so that's one less reason for the general public to pay more to get in.

Yup, it's a vicious circle and as I've grown older and become more battle weary, I ask myself why do I bother, why not just quit and go to everybody else's events then whinge and moan about the high cost or whatever else didn't quite suit me?

With respect to the events I'm linked to, if any one can prove to me beyond any doubt that there's less value in the event than what they paid to attend, then I'll refund your money from my own pocket!
Before you hit me with your claims, ask yourself how much fun you'd have if there was no event, how much you spent to attend that last rock concert where only one band played for about an hour and you were so far from the stage you couldn't see them anyhow, how much do you pay for your internet connection and does it deliver great value, cable TV, a trip to the footy, a couple of hours in the pub drinking with the boys etc., how does the cost equate to the value? Me? I see absolutely no value in any of those things, my internet is too slow for what I pay, I hate footballl, don't drink and would rather watch my favourite band on a video than sit so far away among a crowd of screaming morons unable to see or hear what is going on. This is why I do what I do with my money and free time, I spend it on what is valuable to me. Also consider this, you have a $60,000 plus special interest car that is driven only on weekends or to special events and a $30,000 daily driver, which one delivers better value?

Yup, the venues don't cost much to hire and everybody can do it cheaper, better and make a squillion bucks from it, if that were really true, why isn't everybody doing it?

Carps

Back to top Go down

Car Price Entry to Car Shows - Page 2 Empty Car price entry to car shows

Post  Igalop Sat May 11, 2013 8:46 pm

Love your passion Carps. Keep up the promotions and shows but just think for a moment about many of us who put the cars out there for all to see.
What about those of us who just barely manage to get a classic or muscle car etc that is nice and tidy and even displayable..........................but are never gunna win a prize?
I (and many others) don't have the funds to spend much more on my car but keep it pretty presentable and do get admiring comments from plenty of those punters who do in fact pay very little by comparison, to come in and have a look at many of these shows?
I have been to many shows where my display cost is $20 ,$30 + but get uptight when several hundred or even several thousand paying public get in to have a looksee for say $5-00/$10. I spend the money on the upkeep then get slugged financially to help put on the show and Joe public comes in for a pittance !!!
I can't keep on paying $30 or so dollars just to rock up and see a few hundred luverly cars. I now won't do this anymore and I knowingly admit this is my own choice.
The public, the stall keepers, advertisers etc should be the ones who stump up more of the costs in my opinion. Why not have a reduced entry for those who choose not to be judged/entitled to prizes/trophies?
Obviously when you are able to spend plenty on your ride, the bigger the chance is of getting a trophy or prize. To a certain extent this cannot change realistically, but many of us are there simply for our passion and the satisfaction of just participating.
I think you would be surprised at the number of owners who are mumbling about the bigger & bigger entry fees now prevalent in the Vic car show scene.
I am a member of 2 very big car clubs with memberships each of over 800 people and this cost thing comes up constantly.
I volunteer my time to help out both clubs when ever and where ever I can. I have done probably hundreds of hours of this volunteer work and helped in setting up and pulling down equipment, BBQ ing and display stuff for nearly 10 years now. I do it because I love to do it and it is my way of saying thank you to the actual organizers of these turns. I have never , ever received a cent for doing this, nor would I dream of taking any money for doing what I consider a labour of love.
Sure I have won a couple of raffle prizes but I just enjoy being at these shows and helping out. I have no dramas with some people being paid for their hard yakka in establishing some of these bigger shows but I will not be attending the more costly ones anymore. It's a shame because I have been to them all pretty much and do enjoy them.
I guess we disagree on some important aspects of costs, but hey, it's all about our love and passion for the whole car show/event scene. Fortunately many of us are able to participate in activities that suit our restricted budgets and where owners and public alike, can enjoy what we agree is our passion...our beautiful cars !!!!
Cheers, Johnno.
Igalop
Igalop

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveG Sat May 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Well done Carps & Igalop
This topic has really gone to a whole new level and the thing I like most about it is you both put forward a very good case and obviously appreciate each others opinion, It's great to see some vigerous conversation without any finger pointing or name calling, Well done to both of you.

My 2c worth
I agree with Igalop (Johnno) in that I'm over paying to go to the big dollar shows, dont get me wrong I love Kustom Nats and Johns Picnic but I just feel the high Profile venue is unneccesry a show I really enjoy is Gembrook All American it's on 2 x Football fields I come away feeling like i've had a good day. having said that I get much more pleasure out of Cruising to an Historic Town seeing the sights and having lunch at the pub, that for me is why i'm in the car game, It's also why Jets car club came about, I dont get a lot from paying money to go to a car show looking at the same old cars listening to bands that i dont really enjoy but i had to pay for anyway, I just end up leaving early so I can enjoy the drive back home. Maybe it's just me.
DaveG
DaveG
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Carps Sun May 12, 2013 12:12 am

Please forgive the quoting, I know some folks dislike it, but it helps me keep the discussion on track and in context

Igalop wrote:Love your passion Carps. Keep up the promotions and shows but just think for a moment about many of us who put the cars out there for all to see.
That'd be me, back in the old days.

Igalop wrote:What about those of us who just barely manage to get a classic or muscle car etc that is nice and tidy and even displayable..........................but are never gunna win a prize?
That'd also be me.
Also why we have what many consider a strange process for selecting the prize winners.
Here's how it goes.
The folks who sponsor the trophy/award, get a slip of paper to write the details of the receipient on, they have to get that bit of paper back to me by a specified point in time.
Thus, if you sponsor a trophy you get to pick the car that takes it home.
For the awards that are our responsibility, like the top Kustom award at Phillip Island, it goes like this.
I start walking at one end of the facility and if there's a car that grabs my attention, I check my sheet to see if it fits one of the awards, if it does and I think it's a worthy contender, I make a note of it.
This continues until I get to the other end of the grounds.
If I only have one car's details against each 'vacant' award, its 'job done'.
If I have two or more and I cant decide which should be the winner, I nominate a couple of people to go and check the cars out, then return and tell me their choices.
The car with most 'votes' wins.
To win your car doesn't need to be a million dollar show car, just cool enough to make me say "WOW!"
I once got into trouble coz I didn't even pick a car for our 'Eye poppin head turner' award, I gave it to a lady.
Funny thing was heer husband understood but so many of the car guys didn't that I was kinda worried about the future of human kind afterwards.

Igallop wrote:I (and many others) don't have the funds to spend much more on my car but keep it pretty presentable and do get admiring comments from plenty of those punters who do in fact pay very little by comparison, to come in and have a look at many of these shows?
Believe it or not, I understand. In fact I've never attended an event because there's a chance of winning an award, it's all about the cars and the people for me.
Hell I usually leave my car at home and take the daily.

Igallop wrote:I have been to many shows where my display cost is $20 ,$30 + but get uptight when several hundred or even several thousand paying public get in to have a looksee for say $5-00/$10. I spend the money on the upkeep then get slugged financially to help put on the show and Joe public comes in for a pittance !!!
Like I said, we don't put the events on for the general public, but we do invite them to come along and look, for a fair fee.
This serves a few purposes, not the least helping keep the cost tp participants as low as possible, it also puts our cars in the public eye and God knows we are going to need that more and more as legislation makes it harder for us to keep our stuff legal.

[quote="iIgallop"]I can't keep on paying $30 or so dollars just to rock up and see a few hundred luverly cars. I now won't do this anymore and I knowingly admit this is my own choice. [/Igallop]
me too, which is why I'm selective and go to only those events I perceive as being decent value, and where I know I'll enjoy the company of many friends.

Igallop wrote:The public, the stall keepers, advertisers etc should be the ones who stump up more of the costs in my opinion. Why not have a reduced entry for those who choose not to be judged/entitled to prizes/trophies?
I agree, and like many events we do have some pretty good sponsors, however there's only so much sponsorship money available to a minority hobbyist event and it doesn't go very far in our game.
Unfortunately, we aint a ball sport and with the limited number of participants, financial support of sponsors is always going to be pretty slim.
As for the general public, a car show is nice, but not in the same league as the spectacle of football or whatever else, so they won't ever pay big money to come walk around a parking lot looking at the nice cars.
It's that balance thing again, get it right and it'll work well, don't and you'll go broke.

Igallop wrote:Obviously when you are able to spend plenty on your ride, the bigger the chance is of getting a trophy or prize. To a certain extent this cannot change realistically, but many of us are there simply for our passion and the satisfaction of just participating.
And that my friend is one of the best reasons for being there!

Igallop wrote:I think you would be surprised at the number of owners who are mumbling about the bigger & bigger entry fees now prevalent in the Vic car show scene.
Nope, I hear it on a regular basis, I'm always confused when I see the sdame folks who complain about the cost to participate at Phillip Island, at an event where the entry fee is double maybe even more than four times what we charge, then getting on line to tell everybody either how goof=d it was or that they was robbed.

Igallop wrote:I am a member of 2 very big car clubs with memberships each of over 800 people and this cost thing comes up constantly.
I too am a member of a few car clubs, one where the members wont attend any event if it's going to cost them a dollar to be there.
Another thing that makes me smile, especially when folks complain about the cost is that the Friday night beach party at the Kustom Nationals is not cheap to put on, but we don't charge anybody to participate.
Every year there's a few hundred cars and their people turn up from Melbourne on Friday and we don't see them for the rest of the weekend.
I dunno about you, but I don't think it's really fair to come and enjoy the free stuff then turn your back on the rest of the event because it has a cost attached.

Igallop wrote:I volunteer my time to help out both clubs when ever and where ever I can. I have done probably hundreds of hours of this volunteer work and helped in setting up and pulling down equipment, BBQ ing and display stuff for nearly 10 years now. I do it because I love to do it and it is my way of saying thank you to the actual organizers of these turns. I have never , ever received a cent for doing this, nor would I dream of taking any money for doing what I consider a labour of love.
It's a great feeling isn't it?
I'm lucky enough that I get to travel and enjoy many great events across the world, nothing I enjoy more than sharing my experiences, many of my friends have received free copies of DVDs from these trips.
It often takes more than a hundred hours to edit the footage and turn it into an entertaining show, but I do it anyhow and don't charge a cent, not even the cost of the DVDs I copy it to.
One thing that can be a bit annoying as happened a couple of years back, is when the Mrs brings home a DVD that she figured I'd enjoy only to find when I played it that she'd payed $20 to buy back my own stuff.
That's a problem whebn you give stuff away, often it ends up with some less scrupulous person who takes the opportunity to capitalise on it.
I laugh about it now, but it's not a good feeling to thing you've been taken advantage of.

Igallop wrote:Sure I have won a couple of raffle prizes but I just enjoy being at these shows and helping out. I have no dramas with some people being paid for their hard yakka in establishing some of these bigger shows but I will not be attending the more costly ones anymore. It's a shame because I have been to them all pretty much and do enjoy them.
The only raffle prizes I ever win are for booze and since I don't drink that usually means all the guys around me who didn't win the prize, get a free can or whatever.
We've had a lot of fun with that over the years.

Igallop wrote:I guess we disagree on some important aspects of costs, but hey, it's all about our love and passion for the whole car show/event scene. Fortunately many of us are able to participate in activities that suit our restricted budgets and where owners and public alike, can enjoy what we agree is our passion...our beautiful cars !!!!
Cheers, Johnno.
Johnno, I think we probably agree more than we disagree, If I could figure out how to do the Picnic or Phillip Island at no cost to anybody, we'd be doing it and we'd have the biggest and best car shows on planet earth.
Untill then, we're stuck with what we've got and we'll continue to try and do the best we can for our participants and supporters. When John died last year, one of the last things I promised was that I'd keep the Phillip Island event going a it was his dream to do such an event and what we felt when we finally made it happen, was something that's almost impossible to describe.

I also wish I had a big bucket of money so I could afford to buy a Mustang or a Thunderbird. Wink

That was a feeble attempt at humour, coz I'm sure you get folks all the time who think you must be filthy rich to own one of those machines, just as we get people think we're making millions running a couple of car shows.

Carps

Back to top Go down

Post  Carps Sun May 12, 2013 12:34 am

DaveG wrote:I agree with Igalop (Johnno) in that I'm over paying to go to the big dollar shows, dont get me wrong I love Kustom Nats and Johns Picnic but I just feel the high Profile venue is unneccesry a show I really enjoy is Gembrook All American it's on 2 x Football fields I come away feeling like i've had a good day.
But then if every event followed the same format, then it'd soon become boring and you'd be looking for something else to keep up your interest.

DaveG wrote: having said that I get much more pleasure out of Cruising to an Historic Town seeing the sights and having lunch at the pub, that for me is why i'm in the car game, It's also why Jets car club came about, I dont get a lot from paying money to go to a car show looking at the same old cars listening to bands that i dont really enjoy but i had to pay for anyway, I just end up leaving early so I can enjoy the drive back home. Maybe it's just me.
Nah, it's not just you, that's why the top item on my list of favourite events is the 'Carps Sunday Morning Cruise', get up early, head out in the car, visit random friends, chew the fat over a coffee and donuts then go home feeling good. Sometimes I just drive there and back, for no reason at all.

Likewise the Mid Winter Cruise, which involves driving to the different places where activities are happening.

The NSRA Nationals is one of my favourites because it included a multi thousdand mile road trip, in a hot rod or custom car, likeweise Bonneville and Pleasanton, which I guess is why my videos are so popular.

One of the cool things about Phillip Island, is getting there and being able to cruise the island once you do.

Carps

Back to top Go down

Post  PHughes Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:27 pm

Carps wrote:My name is Peter Carpenter and I am a 'Greedy Event Promoter'!

After 20 years of Rod and Kustom Picnics and ten years of Kustom Nationals at Phillip Island it seems strange top have stated that.

Why?

Because in all that time, over all those events, I have not profited by one red cent, that's not why we do them.

The Picnic started as something to do when there was nothing to do and grew beyond our widest dreams.
It was put on for the participants not the general public, although as costs started to balloon the only way we could keep entry fees under control, was to find another source of income.
Contrary to popular belief, good venues do not come cheap!  Add to that the little matter of public liability insurance, which is even more costly than venue hire, but without it, the show cannot go on.
Before making the choice to move the Picnic to Sandown Park (a most expensive execs) we had three poorly attended events at Lardner Park (where we moved it after outgrowing Packenham Racecourse), because of the crappy weather in Melbourne.
The losses from those events totalled in the hundreds of thousands of dollars - since you can't get insurance for this part of the event, guess where the money comes from?
Out of the event promoter's pocket, which is why what profit isn't reinvested in improving the event is held over for a rainy day, or in our case, used to create another event, which is the Kustom Nationals.

Before opening at Phillip Island we used to think the insurance for The Picnic was savage, but tell your insurer you're going to let the punters cruise their high powered cars on one of the world's finest Grand Prix Motor Racing Circuits and see what happens to your premium.

There's also the issue of permits and approvals, with just about every government department putting their hands in your pocket to take as much as they can before they'll give you an approval to make a little noise and have some fun.

Live music doesn't come for for free, even recorded music has a cost (hire of PA equipment to play it on, power and artists royalties etc.), yet at Phillip Island we have two live bands playing at any one time and one at The Picnic, to ensure live music all event long.  Just as the musicians/entertainers need to be paid, all of the infrastructure to support this has to be paid for too.

Then there's garbage & facility management, once again not a cheap exercise to clean up the venue after a few thousand punters have left all their rubbish and mess behind.
Anything that's damaged has to be repaired, and you'd be amazed to see the damage some folks do to stuff that isn't theirs.  It's usually not covered by insurance or cheaper to pay than make an insurance claim.

And a recently introduced statutory requirement, proper security.  No longer can we do this part ourselves, we have to pay to employ properly trained and licensed security people, proportionate to the anticipated crowds.

There's also the medical emergency stuff, nothing happens at Phillip Island or Sandown Park (Lardner Park, Packenham Racecourse also) without the requisite number of Ambulances and medical/emergency qualified people.  Ever paid for an emergency ambulance ride?  Not cheap eh? Now consider what it's going to cost to hire one for four days.

I've been involved in promoting club level car shows and events for around 40 years and the two major events mentioned here from their beginning.  
The one constant in all that time has been discussions such as this one and they've become worse with the growth of the interweb, feacesbook and flutter etc.

Most of the folks involved do what they do because they love our hobby and just want to give something back.  They are not paid and DO NOT rake in the enormous wealth that is often calculated, based on spurious data.  If I was making so much money from promoting these events, why would I bother putting myself through all the stress, gettting up at 5:00am or earlier, working 80 hours a week in the corporate world (I learned how much an abulance ride costs after suffering a heart attack at my desk in the office) to earn a living, when I could earn so much more raking in the cash from car enthusiasts in a low stress job that I clearly love to do.

To digress slightly, I gave up what might have been a fun and lucrative career building and painting custom cars, simply because car guys don't like to pay.  In that early venture my customers demanded the highest standards of workmanship and quality materials, but always bitched and moend about the high cost of same or how I was ripping them off.  Many just didn't bother paying at all.  Rather than going bankrupt, I gave it away and got a real job with a guaranteed regular salary.

Fact is, these events don't pay for themselves, promoters are entitled to recoup their costs and need to, or it's not worth the effort.  Hell, I don't know anybody that would do the kind of work involved without wanting to be paid for it, so I'm also a believer that event promoters also have a right to a decent profit for their efforts.   You demand that from your boss or business ventures don't you?

Charge too much and nobody will come, the event dies!
Charge to little and you'll be broke in a heartbeat, the event dies!

Make the event free to participants and charge the general public through the nose?  Not really fair, because participants often get a lot more value than the general public, especially at events like Phillip Island, where they get to cruise the motor racing circuit and the public do not.

Ask the general public to foot a larger share of the cost and they will not consider it good value either, so they won't come.
The the promoters have to find the balance and both sides if asked will tell us in no uncertain terms which way that should go.
If there's no general public, the vendors will not come (don't worry they too complain about the 'high cost' of participation) so that's one less reason for the general public to pay more to get in.

Yup, it's a vicious circle and as I've grown older and become more battle weary, I ask myself why do I bother, why not just quit and go to everybody else's events then whinge and moan about the high cost or whatever else didn't quite suit me?

With respect to the events I'm linked to, if any one can prove to me beyond any doubt that there's less value in the event than what they paid to attend, then I'll refund your money from my own pocket!
Before you hit me with your claims, ask yourself how much fun you'd have if there was no event, how much you spent to attend that last rock concert where only one band played for about an hour and you were so far from the stage you couldn't see them anyhow, how much do you pay for your internet connection and does it deliver great value, cable TV, a trip to the footy, a couple of hours in the pub drinking with the boys etc., how does the cost equate to the value?  Me? I see absolutely no value in any of those things, my internet is too slow for what I pay, I hate footballl, don't drink and would rather watch my favourite band on a video than sit so far away among a crowd of screaming morons unable to see or hear what is going on.   This is why I do what I do with my money and free time, I spend it on what is valuable to me.  Also consider this, you have a $60,000 plus special interest car that is driven only on weekends or to special events and a $30,000 daily driver, which one delivers better value?

Yup, the venues don't cost much to hire and everybody can do it cheaper, better and make a squillion bucks from it, if that were really true, why isn't everybody doing it?

Hello

This is probably going to offend some people and I would like to apologize if that is the case, I have spent the last hour reading all the posts on this topic, and I am speaking not as a car (classic) owner, but as just plain car lover, you cannot tell me there is no money to be made in these events, otherwise why are people doing it , it most certainly is not all for Charity, if it was even the ambo’s and security people would donate their time, and all proceeds would go to a charity fund, then I would believe what you say, but the bottom dollar is just this, a car lover may pay up to $30 for an event and we may see as much as 1200 cars attend, in my book that’s $36,000 (That's Real Dollars) surely that does not all go to some expense sundries, someone is making money from this, I saw a show a while ago on C31 called Classic Restos with Fletch and he was at an event for some the Isabella and Marcus foundation car event, and after I saw the show it touch my heart, and I went onto the internet to read that all proceeds were donated to charity, even the security and food stalls, now for the life of me I do not remember how much they raised but mentioned there were around 500 cars each donating $15 (can’t be sure if this is the correct amount) $7500 plus all the donations and raffles, and after the expenses they donated to the charity around $15k, so where do you want me to believe that someone is not making money.

My Father said to me never believe a man who cries poor, he is the one living in the largest house on the street.

Again please do not take this as an insult to anyone but more my observation to what I see and what I believe.

PHughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Carps Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:13 pm

PHughes wrote:

Hello

This is probably going to offend some people and I would like to apologize if that is the case, I have spent the last hour reading all the posts on this topic, and I am speaking not as a car (classic) owner, but as just plain car lover, you cannot tell me there is no money to be made in these events, otherwise why are people doing it , it most certainly is not all for Charity, if it was even the ambo’s and security people would donate their time, and all proceeds would go to a charity fund, then I would believe what you say, but the bottom dollar is just this, a car lover may pay up to $30 for an event and we may see as much as 1200 cars attend, in my book that’s $36,000 (That's Real Dollars) surely that does not all go to some expense sundries, someone is making money from this, I saw a show a while ago on C31 called Classic Restos with Fletch and he was at an event for some the Isabella and Marcus foundation car event, and after I saw the show it touch my heart, and I went onto the internet to read that all proceeds were donated to charity, even the security and food stalls, now for the life of me I do not remember how much they raised but mentioned there were around 500 cars each donating $15 (can’t be sure if this is the correct amount) $7500 plus all the donations and raffles, and after the expenses they donated to the charity around $15k, so where do you want me to believe that someone is not making money.

My Father said to me never believe a man who cries poor, he is the one living in the largest house on the street.

Again please do not take this as an insult to anyone but more my observation to what I see and what I believe.

Pete, as your theory suggests, there's a heap of money being made by event promoters, that'd be the same theory that says Ford and GM should be rolling in cash from their enormous profits.
As we see and hear on a daily basis, more often than not, reality is a long way from theory.  Sure, there's car clubs/organisations and individuals making a good living promoting events for folks like us, but if it was so easy as many think and the income potential so high, why isn't everybody doing it?

I do it because I love doing it, no more no less!  Even tho I should be, I've heard all the theories so I'm not insulted by your comments and for the record, I've never cried poor and although I don't live in the biggest house on my street, I do have the largest block.  Wink

However, none of that is funded from my role in promoting the car events I'm involved with, I have a real job that looks after funding my lifestyle and I can look any of our participants in the eye and without blinking or any other signs of nervousness, honestly say I've never banked a red cent in my personal accounts from  any involvement in promoting the events I'm involved with.

The profits when they come from our events, are ploughed back into the next event, or, as has been the case in recent times, flushed down the storm-drains with the rain that has washed a number of events out.

I can also assure you that the level of profit most folks calculate as being banked, based on their estimates of participant numbers and assumed gate takings, are a long way from reality.

On the other hand, the costs are very real, just try hiring a facility like Phillip Island or Sandown Park for a day and you'll soon understand.

I'm sure if I put my heart and soul into it I probably could make a killing promoting and running events, but it's a risky business.  So I'm happy to stick with my day job and after hours, continue to do my bit to provide enjoyable events for others who share my passion for old cars.  Ya never know, one day I may finally manage to pocket a few bucks from it.

Maybe I should close with a question.  Considering the risk, financial commitment and bloody hard work involved, why shouldn't an event promoter be able to take a profit from their endeavours?  After all, isn't that what you do with your business?

Carps

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2