Welcome to Classic & Custom Car Forum, The forum for owners and lovers of Classic, Custom & 'Chrome Bumper' Cars.

Many areas of this Forum are only available to Members so Register now, It's free just click on the Register Tab at the Top of the page, Enter a Username & Password and you're in.Then you'll be able to visit all areas of the Forum.

Did you Know

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Did you Know

Post  DaveG on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:31 pm

I've just come back from having dinner down at Hastings with several guys and girls from Classic & Rod Club, Great night beautifull cars we cruised from Cranbourne to Hasting for dinner at the Marina then accross to Rosebud for a coffee then a traffic stopping cruise along the peninsula.
among many interesting topics of conversation was the Club Plates discussion and Toll Roads, I have never paid a Toll when driving my TBird and figured I was just lucky but it seems that this is the norm, of 16 cars that were there Tonight 4 were fully Registered and all of them pay Tolls, the 12 cars on Club Plates all seem to be exempt from Tolls, like me none have ever had a letter asking for payment. Does anyone have any further info on this.

The outcome was that all four guys who have full rego are now looking at changing to Club Plates, approx $500 saving on Rego as well as a substantial saving on Insurance and more saving on East & City link.

Those that matter dont Judge, Those that Judge dont matter
No Chrome = No Class
DaveG
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Did you Know

Post  tony b on Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:55 am

I guess it's just one of those unwritten laws that isn't widely known. Sure it gets passed down usually from member to member, mate to mate and I'll admit I was sceptical about the whole deal. And I'm sure the Toll operators and the government wouldn't want it to become common knowledge, imagine the outcry, why are the exempt and we're not, it's a car isn't it and so on.
Any way it was know on the old sceme that charges were not passed on and a lot of people thought that ended with the 90 day permit.
Amber has been on the pemit for over 12 months now and I have not recieved a notice for payment yet, and I use Eastlink regularly along with the Monash,
Having said that as it is not official anywhere that I am aware, this could change at anytime.

tony b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveG on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:19 am

Hi Tony
Yea and i guess as more & more cars join the Club plate scheme so public awareness to this annomoly will grow and as you say with no written clauses in the scheme that exclude the Red plate brigade from paying tolls I guess it's only a matter of time until the inevitable happens, anyway for now mums the word.

Actually the reason this topic came up was that during our cruise to Hastings yesterday we came accross a 1985 Mitsubishi Galant with (Red Plates) club reg,
Now i'm not poking fun at this car but fair dinkum a 1985 Mitsubishi Galant as a Classic Historic.

I spoke to the really nice young guy (maybe 25) who owned it and he said, well I travel overseas a lot and when I come home I was using the folks car, they would always complain that I had the car so this seemed like a good option i only use the car 20 - 30 days per year and even though it looks like crap It's all roadworthy. It sits in Dads backyard all year round and It gives me a car without having to pay high rego and insurance.

So there you go very interesting stuff i'm sure you'll agree.

Those that matter dont Judge, Those that Judge dont matter
No Chrome = No Class
DaveG
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  65bird on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:28 pm

Hi guys I work where all the fines are processed and I'm sure that club plates are not exempt on Citylink and Transuban tollways. I know for a fact that all emergency vehicles are exempt. I will find out on Thursday when I get back to work but it's a very interesting grey area there.
65bird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  65bird on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:28 pm

I found out today that they are right about the club plates. Apparently the tolling companies can only look up vicroads and other states normal rego plates. They find it too hard and costly to send the info out for club, trailer and trader's plate.
I might give it a go and see. Smile Smile Smile
65bird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  1965tbird on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:50 pm

You could always drive with no front number plate
1965tbird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  65bird on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:58 pm