Welcome to Classic & Custom Car Forum, The forum for owners and lovers of Classic, Custom & 'Chrome Bumper' Cars.

Many areas of this Forum are only available to Members so Register now, It's free just click on the Register Tab at the Top of the page, Enter a Username & Password and you're in.Then you'll be able to visit all areas of the Forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Classic & Custom Car Forum, The forum for owners and lovers of Classic, Custom & 'Chrome Bumper' Cars.

Many areas of this Forum are only available to Members so Register now, It's free just click on the Register Tab at the Top of the page, Enter a Username & Password and you're in.Then you'll be able to visit all areas of the Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

REPAIR TIMES

+4
tony b
spits 65 bird
DaveG
GaryH
8 posters

Go down

REPAIR TIMES Empty REPAIR TIMES

Post  GaryH Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi Guys,am I the only one who always under estimates the time it takes to do work on my thunderbird?
Jobs, small or large always seem to take at least twice as long as i estimate ( if im lucky)
Let me give you an example,a while ago i bought a heater core off DaveG, very fair price.
Looked up the manual on how to go about it, basically undo four bolts and a couple of hoses and drop out heater unit,
replace core and re install in car. Easy allow, what 2 hours and then celebrate with a VB.
Wrong, bolts and hoses easy but do you reckon i could get the heater unit out from under the dash, twisting and turning unit all different ways but no luck, at this point i knew why Dave gave me such a good price.
After about 2-3 hours it finally gave in and literally fell out.
At this point no celebration but VB,s anyway, gave up for the day.
Replaced core and not looking forward to putting it back in,Dave at this point your ears should have been burning.
Decided to give it a go, and if it didnt go in easily i was going to buy a Mexican rug!!!
To my surprise it went in on the second attempt, i dont know what i was sooking about.Heater
works fine, but this under estimating of time seems to happen on virtually every job i tackle.
Satisfying in the end but also frustrating, suppose thats what VB,s are for.
First post and even this took me longer than expected.

GaryH
GaryH
GaryH

Back to top Go down

REPAIR TIMES Empty Re: REPAIR TIMES

Post  DaveG Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:05 pm

Oh great stuff Gary, very good read mate
i know exactly what you mean, but even though I didn't end up using that heater core i installed Classic Auto Air and yep same problem getting the old heater box out, Unlike you having me to swear at I had no one but the neighbours cetainly knew I was working on the car, It's lucky there are no Churches within hearing distance of my place.

Oh if you think the heater box is a PITA wait till you pull the Gauge cluster I've now got a whole new vocabulary.

What you say is quite right every job for me anyway seems to take so much longer than anticipated, People say to me ....did you do the work on your car yourself and when I answer yes and say i did it in 10 weeks i just think to myself (God only knows how I got it done).
DaveG
DaveG
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  spits 65 bird Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:51 am

hi fellas
I know what you both talking about only started removing my heater and fan last night I thought I was going to get out in one piece may be 50 pieces what shit job when they build these thing no thought gone into repairs anyway one side done now drivers side
spits 65 bird
spits 65 bird

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveG Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:27 am

Hi Kev
Did you get the Vintage air heater box, It should go in and connect up fairly easy if it's like the Classic Air box. Except fot those bloody micro switches fiddly little bastards they are.. Good Luck Mate.
DaveG
DaveG
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tony b Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:54 pm

Gentlemen that is the fun of owning Classic cars, they're designed that was so you will appreciate your efforts when completed.
Tony

tony b

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveG Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:41 pm

I tell you Guys, I almost rolled mine out the front with a sign Free to good homethis afternoon.
All day since 8am trying to find a starting problem, if the car sits for approx 2 weeks it drains the battery, Auto Elec had a look cant find where the power draw is but here's a bill for $200 anyway, thanks for coming.
So on Thursday night I fitted an Isolating switch to the positive battery lead connected Radio wire to the constant live side beautifull battery stays charged and the radio stations stay tuned (Win - Win)

Went to start her this morning, nothing dead, Lights work, everything works Multimeter shows fully charged still nothing at the starter motor, dead, I'm thinking starter solenoid Ignition switch WTF could it be.

I ran a cable direct from battery to starter no probs turns over, Multimeter the Switch no probs power at the switch, activate the switch power after the switch, WTF still no power at the Starter, removed the newly purchased lead from the switch to the Starter motor, test, no good, seems one of the new battery leads I'd purchased to enable fitting of the isolator has a break in the cable somewhere along it's length. I discovered this at 5:30pm rang Autobarn and they waited for me (Good Guys) picked up new lead fitted her up and she's sweet, Thank God I couldn't miss a chance to drive her in the rain Tomorrow....... I then Tore up the Free to good home sign, but after thinking about it I glued it back together because i know i'll need it for a future Job. Old Cars are OK it's the new bits we fit that are the problem.
DaveG
DaveG
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  65bird Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:14 pm

OMG I have to fit a new heater core in my one before winter, does that mean I have to go through all the shit like you guys have gone??????? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
65bird
65bird

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwibird Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:35 pm

DaveG wrote: WTF still no power at the Starter, removed the newly purchased lead from the switch to the Starter motor, test, no good, seems one of the new battery leads I'd purchased to enable fitting of the isolator has a break in the cable somewhere along it's length.

A bit late now for you but the isolater switch I fitted clamped directly to the negative terminal of the battery - and the original wire bolted onto the switch
The switch is one of those twist-knob types that screws down to make the connection.
Kiwibird
Kiwibird

Back to top Go down

Post  Giobus Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:36 pm

Evening All,

I think one of my biggest headaches l enounted during the build of my car was the fitting of the electric windows back into the front doors.

After l had cleaned all the componts, sorted them out back into groups and greased all the rollers and gears. I started to assemble the power window gear back into the door.

>> Well 2+ hours and grease over every thing the window was further fitted to the door than when l first started.

A bit (well a LOT) of colourful language, l was convince to go in for day. Mad

The following morning after a 'Espresso' l went back into the garage and started on the other door - 15min later it was in, adjusted and going up & down. Shocked

Back to the other side & 10mins later same again. cheers

So the moral of the shory is 'If your tied, go to bed!!. don't presist - it gets you NO WHERE'

Giobus
Giobus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  1965tbird Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:24 pm

Your not wrong there gio
Ive just got home after fitting up the seats in mine
1965tbird
1965tbird

Back to top Go down

Post  65bird Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:27 pm

1965tbird wrote:Your not wrong there gio
Ive just got home after fitting up the seats in mine

You could have done it much quicker if you remembered where you put all the seat parts mate!!! What a Face
65bird
65bird

Back to top Go down

Post  1965tbird Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:30 pm

All sorted malaka
1965tbird
1965tbird

Back to top Go down

Post  65bird Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:31 pm

The same to you arhida Very Happy